Herman-Melville

Call me Herm. Yeah, I died in 1891, but, thanks to my new wireless card, am able to blog now.

My Photo
Name:

I am an American author, best-known for my novels of the sea and my masterpiece MOBY-DICK (1851), a whaling adventure dedicated to Nathaniel Hawthorne. "I have written a wicked book and feel as spotless as the lamb," I wrote to Hawthorne. The work was only recognized as a masterpiece 30 years after my death. TYPEE (1846), a fictionalized travel narrative, was my most popular book during my lifetime. As noted above, I currently am deceased. Recently, however, we got wireless.

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Call Me Herm.

Yeah, I died in 1891. So how am I writing? We just got wireless up here.

In case you're wondering, death has been decent for me. You get much more reading done, not having to eat, sleep, change the cat litter, etc.

One of the interesting things here is there are whales that you can kill. Of course, being immortal, they come back to life again. So say you give one a fine, lethal harpooning. He springs right back and you get to go at it all over again. Sort of like having a terrific racquetball partner.

Well, that's all for now. Harp lesson.

No, just kidding. You don't see nearly as many of those up here as you might think. God forbid we had to tolerate that racket for eternity.

13 Comments:

Blogger pepper-flower said...

Glad to see you found a means of communication from the Great Beyond! And nice of you to take the time to write reviews for Amazon.com LOL :-) Erika B. (pepper-flower)

11:15 PM  
Blogger writerrad said...

1. Was Bartleby autobiographical.
2. Is there sex in Heaven. Might the sex be better in Hell?
3. Do you need lawyer to help with the financial gains others made on your books after you died, especially since only a few hundred sold while you were alive.
4. What everyone must ask: Do you have any new books or stories?

Thanks for all you have done.

4:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was Moby Dick a wicked book? Sure, you used a naughty word in the title and we aren't sure what a Moby is, either. But it is a decent read, Herm and I think you ought to be proud of it. Except for that naughty chapter on squeezing out spermaceti. That was pretty suggestive, don't you think?

12:03 PM  
Blogger Herm Melville said...

Anoymous: I was going to call him Whitey but my publisher thought we needed to sex it up.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Herm Melville said...

Writterad,
1. a lot of folks think so, because Bartleby and Melville have the same number of letters.
2. Yes, otherwise it would be hell, so to speak.
3. I have a harpooner working on the matter.
4. I am working on a sequel to Moby-Dick. I had wanted to set it a few months after Ishmael's return, but that is making it hard to incorporate the exploding airprot setpieces my agents are insisting upon.

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Hermie (is it disrespectful to the dead to call you that?)! I'm anxiously awaiting further blog entries from you. Tell us a bit about your surroundings. Do you write while floating on a cloud? Are there oceans for you to sail or do you harpoon whales in midair? Is there cable TV? Do you get the books you read from libraries? If so, are there overdue fines? Tell all!

7:53 PM  
Blogger Herm Melville said...

The Afterlife, at least in my neighborhood, is a lot like Providence, Rhode Island, but with better parking.

11:10 AM  
Blogger pepper-flower said...

Hi Herm,

I've been wondering ... Have you met any famous writers (who passed on)? Is there a group that meets to discuss topics of interest? Who participates? What do you talk about? Pepper-flower

12:27 AM  
Blogger Herm Melville said...

Erika, I see Nat Hawthorne some. We mostly talk baseball. We both root for the Dead Sox (Boston Red Sox players who have passed on and play here now).

6:16 AM  
Blogger Rabid Kitten said...

Hi Hermy. My publisher had me change my name from Anonymous (too many inferior writers of the same name.) I look forward to "Son of Moby"--how about taking on a third book to make a trilogy, say, Ishmael finds his Middle Eastern Roots (after all, Ishmael is the son of Abraham who became the father of all Arabs.) And he fights to have control of the major ports of his adopted land in the America.s

3:32 AM  
Blogger Herm Melville said...

Rabid Kitten, my publisher says your idea has bestseller written all over it, just in addition to major ports, could you have an airport or two? Evidently they lend themselves to better pyrotechnics.

7:33 AM  
Blogger Bazhe (bazhe.com) said...

thank you for the invitation to be your Amazon Friend

i love your work
bazhe
www.bazhe.com

4:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Herm- two questions: I'm reading your book right now and wonder if they are treating your OCD in heaven. Also, does Nathanial have a blog?

4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home